The Centre for Translation and Textual Studies (CTTS) is delighted to announce its forthcoming symposium on Saturday, 2 December, entitled ‘Poetry and Prose in Translation’ with a focus on Japanese literature. Beginning at 2pm, the keynote on the translation of Ise Monogatari (The Tales of Ise) will be delivered by Japanese literature scholar and distinguished translator Dr Peter MacMillan. This will be followed by a one-hour haiku writing workshop in English facilitated by poet Gabriel Rosenstock, readings of a selection of haiku by the children of the Japanese Saturday School and by volunteers participating in the workshop. To conclude there will be a wine reception at 5pm. This event is kindly sponsored by the Japanese Embassy as part of the celebrations of 60 years of diplomatic relations between Ireland and Japan. All are welcome!
- Collaboration between DCU Postgraduates and World Intellectual Property Organization
- Research Seminar by Dr Mary Phelan on ‘Language and Power in Irish courts in the Nineteenth Century’, co-organised by Heriot-Watt University and Edinburgh University in Edinburgh, 1st November 2017.
- Japanese Poetry and Prose in Translation Event – 2pm, 2 December in Room HG18, Dublin City University
- Dr Sharon O’Brien invited to chair a panel at the DGT’s “Translating Europe Forum”, to be held in Brussels on November 6th and 7th.
- Presentation by Dr Joss Moorkens at conference on Translation and Disruption at the University of Portsmouth on 4 November 2017